Well, things have been quite hectic around here. On Tuesday, November 11 I started to not feel well. Slight fever and abdominal pain. I really thought I was just getting the cold that everyone else had and that the abdominal pain was from me overdoing things. Well, by Wednesday the pain had increased, and it was a sharp pain that prevented me from walking upright. And my fever was now over 101...and I rarely ever get a fever. I knew something was up, and even though I did not want to I called my OB's office. I spoke to the nurse, and after she talked to one of the doctors in the office they told me to head to the ER.

I called Ken and told him I needed him to come home from work, and after he got his mom to come watch the boys we headed to the hospital. We arrived around 4:30pm and got right in. I had a chest x-ray done and then got a CT scan. Once they got the results back they told me they were admitting me. I had a large hematoma (about 14cm x 8cm) in my pelvic cavity. The plan was to have a drainage catheter put in the next day. So I was taken to my room (on the Pediatric floor- the hospital was so full that was where they found room for me) just before midnight.

On Thursday morning I found out I was bumped off the schedule for getting my drain because there were some emergencies that came in. So it wasn't until Friday morning that I had the drain put in. At this point I was hooked up to an IV getting 3 different antibiotics and I had a lovery drain coming out of my gut. On Saturday an Infectious Disease doctor came and switched up my antibiotics based on the preliminary cltures that were drawn.

Monday afternoon I had a repeat CT scan to see how well the drain was working. Unfortunately the mass had only gone down to 12.3cm x 6.7cm. The new plan was to install a larger diameter drain on Wednesday morning. After I got the new drain I was told they would be putting in a PICC line so I could continue IV antibiotics at home. Yes...HOME! So on Thursday (11/20) I had a PICC line inserted and was finally discharged.

I have two home health nurses that visit to help care for my drain and PICC line. On Monday (11/24) I did have a repeat CT scan, but the hematoma hadn't gone down enough for the drain to be removed. So I will go back again on Monday 12/1 for a recheck and hopefully removal of the drain.

This month has been quite stressful for all of us. Ken has been more than amazing- taking care of both of the kids, working, taking care of the house, and still was at the hospital every day to visit me. I don't know what I'd do without him. Nicholas has been great despite going from various relatives' houses' day after day. And Erik...well, I'm grateful he's too young to realize all that has been going on. I just wish that I didn't have to spend so much time away from him during his first month of life.

Labels: , edit post
1 Response
  1. Oh, Gisela! I am finally getting around to reading your birth story and I'm just heartbroken for you. What a trauamatic experience. I am so glad that you both made it through but what an ordeal. I wish you a healing and a recovery both physically and emotionally. If you ever need to talk about it, I'm here for you.